Thursday, March 15, 2007

Aging is Unnatural

My mother said she was asked if she had any kids and she said two sons and a daughter. The woman asking said he's seen mum with a tall and skinny woman who looks in her early twenties. Was that her daughter? Mum said yes but her daughter is not in her early twenties, she is forty years old. Mum said the woman was astonished.

People have got so used to believing that it's normal for us to get sick, grow old and die that it seems abnormal when you appear not to fit the mould.

In Beauty Secrets I wrote about how I met two young men on the bus who I got chatting to. When they discovered my age they couldn't believe it. What I didn't mention was that one kept saying how frightened he was of me. His reaction attracted attention from fellow passengers and all I wanted to do was disappear.

There's also the expectation that comes with looking a certain way. A while back I thought it would be fun to perform some of my poetry so I attended a performance poetry evening. After the performance, I chatted to a few poets. One lady came up to me. She thanked me for my poems and told me I had some lovely ideas for someone so young. She believed I had a very promising career as a poet ahead of me. I asked her how old she thought I was and she said 19. I told her I was almost 40. Promising career, indeed!

Come on folks, wake up! It's not natural for us to grow old and die. It's our divine right to look ageless and be in perfect health forever.

Enocia

Related articles: My Function and My Body are One; Beauty Secrets