Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dreamer Without a Cause

I saw a friend who lives in the neighbourhood at the bus stop. The last time I saw him he was on his way to the local DIY shop to get some glue to fix his table. (See DIY (Do It Yourself)). I asked him if he'd fixed his table and he said yes. He said he was on his way to the shops. He asked me to get on the bus with him to the top of the road so we could continue chatting.

On the bus, my friend noticed a woman with her head wrapped, the way some Muslim women dress. She was with her son. My friend spoke Arabic to the boy but he couldn't understand him.

"Your son doesn't speak Arabic?" he said to his mother.
"No, he doesn't."

My friend went off on one speaking Arabic to the boy's mother.

"I don't speak any Arabic, you know," she said in a North London, English accent. "How come you know Arabic?"
"He used to be a sailor," I said, "before he retired. You've picked up many languages on your travels, haven't you?"

I could see that my friend's heart was in the right place in terms of trying to connect with the woman but judging by appearances is a tricky business. Fortunately for him, the woman didn't seem to mind and had a good laugh.

There's nothing funnier to me than people who make assumptions based on the fact that I appear to have a black dream body. As a black woman it's inevitable that I would be interested in race issues and attending consciousness-raising seminars. Speak to the dream hand, mate!

I am a dreamer without a cause.
I am a dreamer being the Cause.
I am the Lucid Dreamer.

Enocia

Related articles: Let Go and Let All; The Causeless Cause; Love Dissolves Grudges; Appearances Can Be Deceptive; The Problem with Judging By Appearances