Monday, March 05, 2007

In Your Dreams

The following was previously psoted at Vector8 Journals.

*********************************

Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream
When I want you in my arms
When I want you and all your charms
Whenever I want you, all I have to do is
Drea-ea-ea-ea-eam, dream, dream, dream Everly Brothers

"The substance of a dream is held in materialization by the subconscious thought of the dreamer. When that cohesive thought is withdrawn in wakefulness, the dream and its elements dissolve. A man closes his eyes and erects a dream-creation which, on awakening, he effortlessly dematerializes. He follows the divine archetypal pattern. Similarly, when he awakens in cosmic consciousness, he will effortlessly dematerialize the illusions of the cosmic dream." Autobiography of a Yogi
Once I had a dream that was so vivid it was as if I was awake, then I realised I was dreaming. I woke up and went to the bathroom only to realise I was still asleep. I then went back to sleep and woke up again and went to the bathroom only to realise I was still asleep. Then it happened again. When I finally woke up I had to pinch myself to test whether I was still asleep and not dreaming. Did I really wake up from that dream, I wonder?

Every morning, depending on what part of the planet you live in, millions of people wake up to go about their business. What they are in effect doing is going back to sleep so they can dream some more. Yes, you wake up and go back to sleep to dream. Do you think dreaming only occurs when you drift off to sleep or when you are having fantasies? Dreams are a lot more sophisticated than we think.

Dreams are all around us. People are dreaming, we are all dreaming. The many world and personal beliefs, our employments, our lifestyles and the media are all dreams. Think about it, since there is only the Formless One in all, does the Formless One need to work? Does the Formless One need a cup of tea? Does the Formless One get hungry? Does the Formless One have any needs? All the needs we've created and have are all dreams.

The thing about dreamers is they are always trying to invite others into their dreams. This is done through sharing of experiences. Yesterday I went for a walk in a park. I met this woman who was walking two dogs, the type that have lots of fur but I don't know the name of the breed. I stopped to have a conversation with her. To make yourself understood in any dream you have to speak in dream language. I asked the woman how her dogs coped the day before when it was really hot, as we were all collectively dreaming it was. To think dogs are affected by the weather is a belief and not one I subscribe to, but I was trying to make a dream conversation. The woman said her dogs were fine but she observed many people with sweat dripping off them as people are not used to the sudden heat wave, at least not in the dream terrain called the United Kingdom. She said as she's got pale skin, she has to be very careful she doesn't get sunburnt. She showed me her legs and she did have pale dream legs. She said she needs to use a high factor sun lotion to protect herself otherwise she develops a rash which can last for up to a month. She even asked me why some people are so sensitive to the sun, as if I knew. Or maybe she was looking at my dark dream body and thinking the dream melanin protects me from the dream sun.

Speaking of which, years back, a friend and I went into town. It was a scorching day and my friend, who is also black, decided we should have some sunscreen. I agreed as I believed in the dream of sun protection at the time. She bought the highest factor the shop had. The cream was so thick it wouldn't rub in and left a white glow on our arms. It was one of the funniest dreams I've ever experienced.

Back to the encounter with my dream friend, like any dream conversation I pretended to agree with her while I tried to stay awake and not get sucked into her dream. After a few minutes we said goodbye and I continued on my dream walk. This is what I mean about dreamers sharing their dream experiences, you have to be very alert otherwise you end up living in another's dream.

There is one dream that seems so powerful that, if you are not awake, it ends up dreaming you. Collective beliefs come under this category. For instance, you observe people suffering from all manners of diseases because they are asleep and the collective dream is dreaming them into being.

This leads me to the notion of being awake. I am going to first of all address what being awake is not. People have their ideas about what it means when one is awake. The popular yardstick is that those who are awake should be able to perform great party tricks. Mystics have warned students on the path to beware of siddhis or psychic powers which can distract the student from the spiritual path. There are books galore about how to develop one's psychic powers. Just because someone appears to know how to read your mind is no big deal. Anyone who realises that there is only one mind can do this. If you know how to work with energy you can create realities that will astound many. Advertisers use mind-control techniques to get consumers to buy their products all the time, does this mean they are awake? To think one is awake because of one's psychic powers is nothing but a dream.

To be awake is to be conscious of being in a dream and that others around you are dreaming. You are also aware that you are also dreaming otherwise you wouldn't need a dream body and be in a dream. You are a lucid dreamer. You are very much aware of the various dreams and can tell when another dreamer is trying to entice you, albeit with good intention, into his dream. You also know how to filter out collective dreams passing off as beliefs about medicine, nutrition, diseases, aging, death etc.

This might be my dream but I believe that one reason why it's important to wake up is so you get access to unlimited energy. You see, it takes a lot of energy to dream. When you are creating different scenarios you are distracted into believing your dream is real. It matters not whether they are nice dream or nightmares, none of them are real. But we would all prefer to experience wonderful dreams. Those who would like to sustain the dream of control prefer to see people imprisoned in dream realities. All is not lost, however. Though you may appear stuck in a particular dream, you already know how to free yourself from an undesired dream as you practise this daily. How? Just before you go to sleep, there is a moment between falling asleep and dreaming. This moment is pure awareness; when you are pure Energy and free from all dreams. Some are able to stay a long time in this awareness while others are not. One can consciously stay in the state of pure awareness when one meditates or is in silence.

Have you ever had a dream that was so wonderful you didn't want it to end? I have, lots of times. I am usually very disappointed when I return to this dream realm as I so wish I could superimpose that dream over this reality. To be able to live in the realm of your dreams requires unlimited energy. In order for us to have unlimited energy to dream bigger and more glorious dreams of freedom, peace, love, beauty and abundance you need to wake up from your petty dreams and nightmares.

How does one wake up or at least be a lucid dreamer? By intent. When you want to wake up at a certain time in the morning, don't you put out an intent? The intent might take the form of an alarm clock that goes off at the time you want to get up, or you find you wake up at the exact time you need to get up. In the same way, if you want to wake up from the dream, you need to put out an intent that you want to wake up.

Earlier, I discussed a dream I had of waking up only to realise I was still asleep. The dream realm is like an onion with layer upon layer of skin. Not only are there unlimited dream realities or beliefs in this dream reality called Earth, there are also unlimited dream realms. If you haven't woken up from this dream reality and you dream yourself dead, you will fall right back to sleep and wake up in another dream realm. You may have a different dream body but you will still be fast asleep. To be a lucid dreamer, you need to wake up from all dreams.

Naturally, it is very time-consuming trying to wake up from all dreams. The easiest way to wake up is to realise that there is only One Cosmic Dreamer in all the numberless dreamers. The Cosmic Dreamer is Universal Energy. You are that Cosmic Dreamer. You are then free to dream wondrous dreams if you choose.

Sweet dreams! Maybe, I should say, wakey, wakey!

All my love,
The Cosmic Dreamer

Related articles: Are You Dreaming Again?; Lucid Dreaming