Saturday, March 31, 2007

Vivre La Difference!

I noticed the bus I was on had a new toy: a Sat Nav designed for buses. At each stop a voice tells passengers getting on what the destination is. During the bus journey, the voice tells us where we are and what the next stop is. There is also a screen showing the bus' current location.

It did sound funny hearing the voice harping on.

"This is way too much information for my liking," I said to a passenger.

"I know," she said. "Do we need to keep listening to this? Why can't we have some peace and quiet?"

Both of us chuckled.

Another passenger said, "It's useful for people who have never used this route before so they can know where they are."

"You're right," I said. "It's also useful for blind passengers. I'm sure they had them in mind when they developed this technology."

"Yeah, probably."

After a while I switched off and even forgot about the voice. I also noticed some passengers getting on didn't bat an eyelid.

One thing that struck me about our conversation was how valid each of our perspectives were. Our difference view points make life interesting and a lot of fun.

Vivre la difference!

Enocia

Related articles: The Ordinary is Extraordinary; Let Go and Let All; Satellite Navigation System; Perceptions