Friday, April 27, 2007

Let's Get It On

I've been really tryin, baby
Tryin to hold back these feelings for so long
And if you feel, like I feel baby
Come on, oh come on,

Let's get it on
Lets get it on
Let's get it on
Let's get it on […]

There's nothin wrong with me
Lovin you--- And givin yourself to me can never be wrong
If the love is true

Don't you know how sweet and wonderful, life can be
I'm askin you baby, to get it on with me
I aint gonna worry, I aint gonna push
So come on, come on, come on, come on baby
Stop beatin round the bush.... Let's Get It On
At a forum a friend mentioned the song "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. I looked it up on YouTube and found a version performed by Jared Cotter from American Idol.

As I was watching the video in the library a boy approached me. He had lovely rosy cheeks and the sweetest smile. I returned his smile then I continued watching the video, expecting him to return to his mother who was working on the computer opposite me. No such luck! My friend just stood there grinning at me with so much love in his eyes. I could feel his love melting away any resistance I had.

"What's your name?" he whispered.
"Enocia."
"What's yours?"
"Kamal," or so it sounded to me. He looked Turkish.

He moved closer and stood next to me.

"What are you doing?" he said.
"I'm watching a video."

He kept smiling his sweet smile. I surrendered to his love.

"Do you want to listen?" I said.
"Yes."

I handed him my earplugs though only one of them was working at the time. I let him watch the video.

"Are you enjoying the music?"
"Yes," he said. "What's he saying?"
"He's singing about love," I said.

While he was watching the video his mother told him it was time to go, but he was reluctant to leave. We said goodbye and I went back to watching the video. A few minutes later, I noticed Kamal's mother was back on the computer. Kamal wanted to watch the video. His mother told him I was here to work and he wasn't being fair taking up my time. I told her I didn't mind at all.

Soon Kamal was bored with the video. He pointed to an ice hockey video that he wanted to watch. I said he had to ask his mother first whether it was suitable. He pleaded and pleaded and I thought, "Sod it! This hour was obviously made for us so I'm going with the moment."

So I let my friend select a video. We watched some ice hockey. After a while he said, "I don't like it. I want to see something else."

I was really impressed that he knew how to use the mouse. When I was his age the only thing I knew about a mouse was the nursery rhyme Three Blind Mice. He selected another video - more ice hockey. After that we watched even more ice hockey. Yawn! While he was enjoying his ice hockey I stroked his short hair.

"Your hair is soft and spiky," I said to him.

He felt my hair, which I keep natural and really short.

"Your hair is hard," he said.
"Yes, my hair is hard."
"My hair is harder than yours!" he said.
"No, My Hair Is Harder Than Yours!" I said.
"NO, MY HAIR IS HARDER THAN YOURS!"

I figured I wasn't going to win that argument so I tried a different tack.

"Well, I'm bigger than you!" I said.
"No, I'm Bigger Than You!"
"NO, I'M BIGGER THAN YOU!"

We agreed to disagree and went back to watching videos. Kamal picked a video called Spit Art about a guy who draws pictures with his spit. He chuckled throughout and thought it was disgusting. I showed him the Ana Julia Torres and Jupiter video of a lion hugging his rescuer. He loved it but insisted that the lion wanted to get out of the cage. I reckon he had a point; I would imagine the lion prefers to be out on the prowl than locked in a cage. I showed him the video of Nora, the piano-playing cat. He found that rather amusing. The final video he selected was Skyline about a guy who rides on his bicycle dripping white paint everywhere he goes until a police officer arrives on the scene.

"Uh-oh, he's going to get into trouble," I said to Kamal.
"He's going to go to prison," he chuckled.
"It's all your fault for getting him in trouble," I prodded his arm.
"No, It's All Your Fault!" he prodded me.
"NO, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!"

We exchanged grins.

At the end of the video the guy is instructed to clean up his mess.

I was nearly out of time. I told Kamal it was time for me to go home. Before we parted company there was something I needed to know.

"How old are you?"
"Seven."
"You're not seven!" I said.
"Yes, I am."

I asked his mother and she said he was four and a half. I said goodbye to Kamal and his mother.

I also saw another friend in the library who was about to leave. She asked me if I wanted a pear. I told her I'd completely forgotten pears existed. I don't tend to eat much fruit, I prefer drinking fruit concentrates. The last time I had some fruits was when my mother was in hospital two months ago and some friends brought her some. As for pears, I don't even remember the last time I had one. Oh well, might as well enjoy it. It was crunchy just the way I like them.

My friend walked me to the bus station. She told me about her new job. We also discussed the way recruitment agencies operate when they pretend their client has offered a particular rate per hour when in fact they're receiving double or treble the amount. That's business! I noticed my friend's watch was heart-shaped and very pretty. She waited until my bus arrived and we exchanged hugs goodbye.

On the way home, I thought about how the song "Let's Get It On" represents Love in action. In fact, every moment Love is saying "let's get it on." In other words, let's have fun and play. Let's enjoy being Love. Let's love one another. Let's share our joy. Let's be together. Love as Kamal wanted to play; Love as the pear wanted me to enjoy its gift; and Love as my friend was sharing her joy or lack of enthusiasm in recruitment agencies.

The Marvin Gaye song goes, "I aint gonna push," meaning Love doesn't force anyone to do anything. On the one hand, Love waits on everyone to surrender; on the other, Love never stops asking us if we want to get it on.

There are times when Love's call to "get it on" can be a tad inconvenient, particularly when I'm fast asleep; and I love my beauty sleep. I would wake up out of a nice dream and feel all this Love pouring in as ideas or just a feeling of bliss. I would remain in that state for hours. I would then be aware that it's nearly daybreak and I want to get some sleep, not that I need to but it's just a habit. Love doesn't seem to have any concept of sleep, which is a bit of a bummer!

It seems to me the majority of people who understand what it means to "get it on" are young kids who are still very much open to love and trust; they haven't yet been programmed into the system. Adults tend to believe to "get it on" means to have sex or be in an intimate relationship with someone. There are so many opportunities for us to en-joy one another without sex coming into it. Sometimes it's just about connecting at that moment and acknowledging someone's presence.

When I got home and I shared my experience with my mother. She told me she met a little girl at the supermarket who asked her name and said goodbye using her name. I was glad to hear how she was getting it on.

Let's get it on.

Enocia

Related articles: A Dream is a Dream is a Dream; Sharing the Dream; The Presence - Where the Sun is Always Shining; One Love, Many Guises and Special Relationships; Be Like a Little Child and You are in Heaven; The Transmuting Fire of Love ; Rebels; No Time Passes; Wow! It's Magic!; Wow! It's Magic - Part Deux; Ask and You Will Receive; Cherished Memories; As High as a Kite