Friday, April 13, 2007

Love Gives You Wings

The greatest gift I can offer others is the freedom to be themselves.

I remember a young man who used to work in the local shop in our neighbourhood. He seemed to be constantly in a bad mood. I would say hello and he would either ignore me or scowl at me. I wondered whether it was just me. I asked my mother what her experience of him was and she confirmed that she received nothing but contempt from him. Just as well the actual shopkeeper, the man's uncle, was pleasant to his customers otherwise people wouldn't want to shop there. One day I asked the shopkeeper if he was aware of his nephew's attitude. He said his nephew is naturally surly and we have to take him as he is. I decided to send the man lots of love and let it go.

After a while the man stopped working at the shop; presumably, he was working in another shop. The next time I saw him he was really nice. What happened to the moody bastard we loved to hate? (grin) My mother also noticed the transformation. He even chatted to customers. Scary!

A while back I offered to take my mother to Richmond Park. Although she isn't into walking I thought she would enjoy sitting on top of the hill overlooking the park. Mum thought it was a good idea but she was in a lot of pain at the time. We agreed to postpone the trip until she was feeling a lot better.

In the meantime, I've following my mother's journey to get back in shape. Even though her way is not my way, I've supported her journey all the way. At first when her doctor suggested she had a hip replacement she was terrified of the idea. She hoped she would receive a miracle. She prayed, went to prayer meetings, and asked others to pray for her, but the pain only got worse. With no miracle in sight, she finally agreed to have the operation, which she had done just over a month ago.

It's now two years since I offered to take mum to Richmond. She says she's now ready to take the trip, which we're hoping to do at the weekend. Excellent!

Love gives you wings to fly in a way that's right for you.

Enocia

Related articles: What Difference Does It Make How Love Expresses?; Friendship; I Love You Just the Way You Are; Love Takes All Forms; Love Heals, Love Restores