Thursday, May 31, 2007

God Can Afford Everything

Yesterday I bought a bar of chocolate from a kiosk in town. It was 20 pence more than the ones they sell in supermarkets, and in shops around my local area, which seemed rather extortionate.

One could argue that supermarkets tend to buy things in bulk which means they get huge discounts, so they can afford to sell stuff a lot cheaper than in smaller shops. The kiosk was also in an area of London that has a higher tax than local shops in my area, so it's only natural that they would charge more for their products. Besides, with all these cheap shops cropping all over the place, there's now no excuse to complain. If one shop is too expensive, you're bound to get good value at a Pound store.

Hmmm! There's got to be more going on than discounts and higher taxes. If God/Love is all there is, why is society so unequal? Why can't we have all our needs taken care of without having to quibble over the price?

As I was walking to the bus stop, I noticed how radiant the evening was. Day light reflects the Infinitude of Love. There's more than enough sunlight for each of us to enjoy. This means that at one level we do operate on a level playing field.

How does one translate the Infinitude of God/Light into every day reality?

It's important to remember that God's supply is never depleted, just like there's more than enough sunlight for all.

Next, it is important to trust in God's supply to meet the need.

A while back I was playing with a friend's son, who was four years old at the time. In the game, he was pretending to be a shopkeeper, while I was his customer. His toys were his stock. I asked him how much each toy cost and he gave me a price. I pretended to give him whatever he asked for. It didn't matter to me whether he wanted £50 or £1 million, I gave him the amount.

My point is that it matters not how much something costs, God can afford it.

So what if someone wants 70 pence for a bar of chocolate? No problem, God can afford it. Enjoy your chocolate.

So what if the flat you would love to live in costs £1000 a week in rent? No problem, God can afford the amount. Enjoy living in your new flat.

While I was pondering on these ideas, I decided to go for a bus ride in a part of London I don't usually visit. On the way I noticed a building with the words "El-Shaddai", which I knew was one of the names of God:

"El-Shaddai means God Almighty. El points to the power of God Himself. Shaddai seems to be derived from another word meaning breast, which implies that Shaddai signifies one who nourishes, supplies, and satisfies. It is God as El who helps, but it is God as Shaddai who abundantly blesses with all manner of blessings." Names of God
When I think I can't afford something, I'm leaving God out of the picture. In other words, I'm identifying myself with limitations.

El-Shaddai can afford everything.
I am Infinity.

Enocia

Related articles: Trust in Love to Sort out the Details; Identity; Dear God, What is Your Will For Me?; Thought for Today - Greed; Money, Transaction and Free Market