Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Good Old Days

I've heard people talk about the good old days when people used to leave their back doors open and trusted in their neighbours.

While the bus I was on was at the bus stop, I noticed a man outside pushing a girl in a buggy (pushchair). He stopped in front of a shop. He left the girl in the buggy outside and went inside the shop. I couldn't tell how long the girl was outside the shop as the bus moved away.

There are two ways to look at the man's action.

On the one hand, I could see the man as not being in his right mind by leaving a young girl outside, even if he was only just popping into the shop for a moment. Didn't he realise that anyone could show up and abduct the child?

On the other hand, I could see the man's actions as demonstrating trust in the Universe, like the good old days when people trusted their neighbours.

As far as I see it, the good old days is now.

I trust in the universe.

Enocia

Related article: Going the Whole Hog