Monday, May 28, 2007

I Would Rather Be Myself Than Convert Others

I've had to learn the hard way that trying to convert others to my way of seeing doesn't work at all. When I'm trying to fix or change someone, I'm giving out the signal that I'm unhappy with myself; for the other I'm trying to change/fix is no other than another version of myself experiencing a different reality. So I find it best to let others be and simply be myself.

I've noticed that when I'm being in joy others around me are influenced to follow their joy.

The other day my mother said she went to an area of London that she was wary about because of what she's read in the newspapers. She wasn't sure how to get to the local train station and asked a bus driver if he went near the station. He said he didn't. Out of nowhere, several young men turned up and advised mum to take the bus and where to get off. She said they were so helpful. Mum said she's realising that people are kind, you just have to be open to it. I told mum that is exactly how I see the world: I trust in the goodness that is in all and that is what I experience.

So instead of trying to convert someone to my way, to paraphrase Mahatma Gandhi, I would rather be the change I want to see in the world. Then the world shape-shifts into who I am being.

All is Love.

Enocia

Related articles: Going the Whole Hog; Trust; Post-It Notes; Love In, Love Out; My Experiences and My Vision are One; Masks - Part 2; Be the Love You Wish to Experience; Mary and Martha; The Power of Love; As I Love Others, I am Loving Myself; Love and Let Go; Kaleidoscope