Monday, May 14, 2007

The Wonder of Creepy-Crawlies

It's strange how I'd been programmed to regard some insects/creepy-crawlies such as ladybirds and butterflies as cute, while others such as spiders, cockroaches and flies were to be feared and squashed; unless of course you are an entomologist.

On the bus I noticed a creepy-crawlie on the window next to me. I had no idea what it was and I certainly didn't want it crawling next to me. Then I had a thought: why not observe it instead? I watched its little legs crawling op the window. I zoomed in for a closer look. Its body was bright orange and very pretty. The insect stood still. I wondered if it was allowing me to admire it even further.

Soon another insect appeared. This one was a lot smaller and its body was light green. I would never have noticed it in the forest because it would simply have merged in with the environment. I admired its little legs. It also stood very still.

While I was busy admiring the insects the last thing on my mind was repulsion. I turned my attention away and let my little friends do their thing.

At home I noticed an insect crawling on the bathroom door. It was brown and resembled a cockroach. It stood very still and allowed me to look at it close up. Just as I was about to kiss it, it moved away. What a cute little fellow!

The world is full of wonder.

Enocia

Related article: Happiness; Disgust; Heaven on Earth is Now