Monday, June 04, 2007

Consideration

I noticed a sign on the bus recently encouraging passengers, listening to music on their mobiles, iPods or whatever music systems, to show consideration for other passengers by wearing their headphones.

The notice is suggesting that there are two kinds of passengers: considerate and inconsiderate. How are they going to police loud music anyway? Are they going to fine people on the spot for not using their headphones? Are they going to start chucking passengers off buses for listening to loud music? Who is going to be the eventual winner? The good - considerate passengers who want peace and quiet; or the evil - inconsiderate, loud passengers?

Come to think of it, what's the difference between passengers listening to their music out loud and passengers speaking on their mobiles? I'm sure there are passengers who use headsets while listening to their iPods but have no qualms about speaking on their mobiles. As we say in the UK, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

I believe the reason why people object to loud music is because they believe the music is stealing away their peace. I know that my nature is Peace that nothing can take away. So if a passenger chooses to listen to music without his headset on, I have no problem with that. If it's music I enjoy I could share his joy with him. If I'm not in the mood, I can easily "switch off" by being Peace anyway.

Yesterday a cat who lives in the neighbourhood was in front of the house. I wanted to stroke him. Even though he seemed distracted, as he looked as if he was about to pounce on something, he let me stroke him for a moment. My strokes could not stop the cat from being who he was being.

Last night I woke up and could hear my stomach churning away. I didn't resist it. I let my stomach churn away until when it was satisfied, it went silent.

A friend in India wrote me recently:

Helmet is compulsory in our state from june 1st for both two wheeler and pillion riders. They said you can avoid head injury and death. Is it true, EJ?
My response was:

Helmets have been compulsory in the UK for a while. Whether one can avoid head injury is another matter. It's all about what you give your trust to, isn't it? Obviously if the law of the land says one has to wear a helmet one should to avoid any hassle. While you're wearing a helmet trust in God as your real protector.
There are many people whose world views I cannot relate to. Instead of getting into heated debates about who's right or wrong, I allow others to express what they believe is true for them.

I show consideration by letting others be.

Enocia

Related articles: I Would Rather Be Myself Than Convert Others; Location, Location, Location; Genetic Modification (GM); Non-Judgment and Faith; Staying True to Self; The Power of Love; Understanding; Love is My Only Insurance; What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Gander