Thursday, June 21, 2007

On Perfection

So I noticed two spots on my arm. They weren't there a moment ago. Where did they come from? I squeezed one and that part of my skin flared up. Out damn spot, out I say! Hang on a minute! Why do I zoom into this teeny-weeny imperfection when the rest of my arm is flawless?

I put this question to my mother.

"Mum, I don't know about you, but I find I tend to focus on stuff that's not perfect like a spot instead of what is perfect. It's a habit I'm breaking out of though. Have you found that to be the case for you?"

"It's not just you, everyone feels that way. Look at me, I'm doing exactly the same." I noticed mum was squeezing a tiny pimple on her face.

"Well, I don't like tarring everyone with the same brush, that's why I asked you how you felt."

"Most people tend to focus only on their flaws," mum said. "Maybe, they think that if they focus on them they will be able to get rid of them."

"I find that when I focus on something it ends up being magnified and things get distorted. How do we expect perfection when we focus only on imperfection?"

"I guess you're right," mum said, as she continued picking on her spot.

"Well, from now on I'm going to only focus on things I like about myself like my nails." I said. "I love my nails!"

For me, being my true self is about loving and accepting all of myself, including the me that has a tendency to focus only on my physical flaws. I'm now open to see in a different way by focusing only on what I love.

I'd better check my arm one last time, just in case. :)

Enocia

Related articles: I See Only Love; With Gratitude; Loving Myself; Charity Begins and Ends at Home; Are You Trying to Open and Close a Door at the Same Time?; Through a Glass Darkly; I'd Rather Be Grateful, Thank You; Where Do You Focus Your Attention?