Thursday, June 14, 2007

Paint It Black

One of my favourite songs is Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones. I love that it is dark and moody. Mick Jagger's tone captures that darkness perfectly. The song reminds me about when I used to be depressed. Everything around me seemed black.

Why do I like a song that is so moody? Let's examine part of the lyrics:

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
With flowers and my love, both never to come back
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a newborn baby it just happens ev'ryday

I look inside myself and see my heart is black
I see my red door and it has been painted black
Maybe then I'll fade away and not have to face the facts
It's not easy facing up when your whole world is black Paint It Black
I believe "Paint it Black" demonstrates the many masks there are. Masks are rather like smilies one can use to express different states of mind. These states are transient and cannot conceal reality. If reality could be concealed, the person in the song wouldn't be able to see the red door and the colours he wanted painted black because of his mood. He wouldn't be able to see the girls in summer dresses. He also realises that despite his dark mood there is hope.

No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue
I could not forsee this thing happening to you
If I look hard enough into the settin sun
My love will laugh with me before the morning comes
Love is always there to remind the wearer of the mask who he really is - Love.

Thank you The Rolling Stones for a cracking song and video! Love it!

Enocia

Related articles: Nice to Meet You Too; Love In, Love Out; Masks - Part 2; Masks; What Seems to be the Problem?; House of Mirrors; The Artist; The Future is Joy; Life is Art

See also Lee Mead - Paint It Black